OneDrive is Microsoft’s own online storage option. Unlike Google Drive, it is limited to 5GB of space. This is ample storage space for things like Word documents, Excel sheets, most PowerPoints, and most PDFs since these files are usually small. However, large pictures will fill the space faster than documents, and even short videos can take up all 5GB of space very quickly.
Microsoft OneDrive can be accessed through any internet browser. You will need to use your Microsoft account, which is separate from KeanGoogle but should use the same name (including the @kean.edu). If you are an employee, this account should have been created for you automatically by our IT team alongside the other accounts. If you are a student, please click here for instructions to register for an Office account using your Kean e-mail. If you find that you do not have a Microsoft account, please contact OCIS.
- Open any web browser, and go to Office.com
- If you are not using Edge, a banner will show that recommends using Edge. However, this can be safely ignored and you may continue using your browser of choice.
- Find the button that says “Sign In”, either:
- a large orange button beneath “Welcome to Office” (above)
- OR in the top right of the screen with an empty profile icon.
- You will be directed to a page with a white sign-in box in the middle. Where it says “Email, phone, or Skype” enter your KeanGoogle e-mail address with @kean.edu.
- Then, select Next. Enter the password for your Microsoftaccount. This might be different from your KeanGoogle e-mail password.
- If you do not know it, select “Forgot my password” and follow the steps given to you.
- The next box will ask you if you’d like to stay signed in. This is a matter of preference. If you select Yes, then the browser will remember your password and might not ask you to log in next time.
When logging in to office, you’ll see an overview of any files on OneDrive.
- You will then be directed to your Office dashboard. It will greet you by name, and on the far left there will be icons for many of the Office Suite software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.). If you have recently used any documents on OneDrive or SharePoint, they will also be listed here.
The Upload button can is on the right somewhat in the middle of the screen, at the end of the file lists.
- You may upload a file in one of two ways:
- Find the “Upload” link in orange on the right side of the screen, at the top of the file list.
- OR, open a File Explorer/Finder window, select the files, and drag them into the Browser. (See the Google Drive instructions above, starting with Step 3a)
- A notice will pop up over the Office webpage with a progress bar. Once it is done, it will open the file you uploaded from within the browser. You may then close the tab.